Although the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact was announced only a few weeks ago, there is now a root method available for the smartphone thanks to DooMLoRD from xda-developers. To root Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, we simply have to flash the CWM recovery on the device and then install the SuperSU file. If you follow the procedure closely, you will be able to get the device rooted in less than an hour. If you’re interested, read on to find out how to root Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.
Disclaimer : During the process of rooting, there is always a risk for you to brick your Android device. So if you choose to root your device, you are doing it at your own risk!
Prerequisites before you begin rooting Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
- Download the following files : 1) Z1c_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-114_v01.img , 2) adb-fastboot-files.rar , 3) UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91.zip.
- Make sure you have installed the device’s driver on your PC.
- Make sure you have unlocked Sony Xperia Z1 Compact bootloader. Follow this guide on how to unlock Sony Xperia Z1 Compact bootloader.
- This root method will only work for the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact D5503 model. You can check your device’s model by going to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
- Make sure you have at least 80% battery on your device.
- Back up the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.
Follow the steps below on how to install CWM recovery on Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
- Extract the adb-fastboot-files.rar file to a folder on your desktop.
- Place the Z1c_DooMLoRD_AdvStkKernel_FW-114_v01.img file to the extracted folder and rename it as boot.img.
- Boot the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up while connecting it to your PC with a USB cable. Once done, the LED will turn blue.
- Next up, navigate to the folder which you have extracted the Fastboot file. Once inside, hold on the SHIFT key on your keyboard and right-click your mouse to open a Command Prompt.
- Type the following command into the Command Prompt
fastboot flash boot boot.img
This will flash the boot.img on your device.
- Once done, reboot your the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact into recovery by typing the following into the Command Prompt
- Your device will reboot.
- You can now boot your device into recovery mode.
Follow the steps below on how to root Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
- Copy the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91.zip file from your PC to your device’s SD card.
- Switch off your device.
- Boot the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact into recovery mode. This can be done by turning on your device and once the LED notification light turn either pink or other colors, press either the Volume Up or Volume Down buttons a couple of times.
- You may want to make a Nandroid backup from the recovery.
- Select Install zip > choose zip from sdcard > browse to the location where you have placed the UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.91.zip file.
- Once the installation is done, select the reboot system now option from the recovery menu.
- Congratulation! You’ve just rooted Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.
The entire process to root Sony Xperia Z1 Compact is rather tedious so do follow the procedure closely! If you have any query on this tutorial, do comment below the post below. In the meantime, stay tune for more how to root tutorials!