The UMI S1 is a mid-range Android smartphone released by Chinese manufacturer UMI back in March last year. The UMI S1 features a 5 inches HD display powered by a 1.2GHz quad-core processor and 1GB RAM. Running in the background is none other than the Android 4.2 OS. Like most other Android smartphones, the UMI S1 can be rooted rather easily as well. In the following tutorial, I will be guiding you guys on how to root UMI S1 using a one-click-root app called Framaroot.
Disclaimer : During the process of rooting, there is always a risk for you to brick your Android device. So if you choose to root your device, you are doing it at your own risk! Your device warranty will also be voided after rooting.
Prerequisites before you begin rooting UMI S1
- Download the Framaroot apk to your PC.
- Make sure you have installed the device driver on your PC. You can download it here if you have not do so.
- Make sure you have fully charged your device.
- Go to Settings > Security > Make sure you have checked on the Unknown Sources checkbox.
- Back up the UMI S1 smartphone.
Follow the steps below on how to root UMI S1
- Connect the UMI S1 to your PC.
- Copy and paste the Framaroot apk (which you have downloaded earlier) from your PC over to the root of your device’s SD card.
- Open the file explorer app ( if you don’t have one on your device, then you may want to download either Astro File Manager / ES File Explorer ) and install the Framaroot apk by tapping on its icon.
- Open the Framaroot app inside your app drawer.
- From the Framaroot app, select the Install Superuser option under the Select an action to execute after root section as shown above.
- In the following section, you will select the Boromir exploit ( You can try Faramir or Barahir exploit if Boromir doesn’t work ).
- Once you have successfully rooted your smartphone, you should see a similar pop-up as the one above.
- Reboot your device.
- Congratulation! You’ve just rooted UMI S1!