After rooting your device, the next thing you will do is probably to install custom recovery on the device so that you can flash custom ROMs in future. Earlier on, we’ve just posted a tutorial on how to root the Sony Xperia Z1. Today, we’ll be moving on to teach you how to install custom recovery on the Sony Xperia Z1.
However before we begin I would like to warn you that while you install custom recovery on the device, there is a risk of brick any form of damage on your device. Its a good practice for you to backup your device to an external source apart from your own device. So if you still want to proceed, you’ll be doing it at your own risk and we will hold no responsible form your own SD Card.
*This method only works for firmware 518 and 526 only.
- Download the Stock Kernel ( Download the appropriate stock kernel from the first post ) and Fastboot.
- Extract the downloaded files to your desktop.
- Ensure that you’ve enabled USB Debugging on your Xperia Z1 from the Settings.
- Connect your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Open the Command Prompt on your PC. ( You can do so by clicking Start > Search > type in cmd )
- On the Command Prompt, type in
adb reboot bootloader.
- After you have do so, hit Enter.
- This will boot your device into bootloader mode.
- Return to the command prompt and type in
fastboot flash boot adv-stock-v3.imgand hit enter.
- This will flash the stock kernel to your Xperia Z1.
- Finally, type in
adb reboot recoveryto reboot your device into the CWM Recovery.
- Congratulation! You’ve just installed a new custom recovery on the Sony Xperia Z1!
That’s it! You’re now free to install any custom ROMs to your Xperia Z1! But not to forget, remember to visit us for more how to tutorials coming your way!